Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Birthday Message for My Son RED

My precious son, when I know your birthday will be coming around again, it's always a little strange for me.  That's because people so often say that birthdays are really "for the mother", but I wasn't there when you came into the world.

I've managed to figure out roughly what I was doing the day you (at 7 lbs and 21" inches long) were born (at 5:28 p.m).  I know I was working that day, and chances are I was still at work on that early Summer evening as you made your arrival into the world.  It kind of bothers me that the only reason I know I was working is that I know I didn't take any days off from work around that time.  I can't even recall whether I went out that evening after work or not.

So, here I am, your mother and so absolutely loving you every bit as much as any mother loves her child, not having even been there or known you were being born on that day when you entered the world.  It's just (to put it plainly) weird - that's all



No, the day that "belongs to me" every bit as much as every child's birthday belongs to his mother too, is your birthday.  That's the day that brought my special boy into the world (even without my being there), and that is the day that turned fate in the direction that would turn me into the mother of a child I would not meet for a couple of months more.
Like everyone's birthday, of course, yours in your special day - and not really mine.  Still, in that way that each child's birthday also does belong to his mother to some degree, I share yours with every bit as much joy and reverence that every mother shares her child's special day.

Happy Birthday Red Joshua!!! No matter how many birthdays come and go, you'll always be my little boy.  I'm so glad that God gave me a son like you. I love you...

No comments:

Post a Comment